Friday, October 24, 2008

My Favorite Concert--The Fifth Dimension


We've written a lot on this blog about the various concerts we enjoyed while we were students at Vanderbilt.

But my personal favorite is one I attended off-campus downtown at Municipal Auditorium. It was in the spring of 1972 and the group performing was the fabulous Fifth Dimension.

Why it is my favorite? That's easy. While I really like the Fifth Dimension,the concert is my favorite because it was the first date I had with my future wife, Betty Lee Love, also a member of the Class of '73. In fact, I still have one of the ticket stubs from that night in my keepsake drawer.

Actually, the Fifth Dimension concert was my second attempt to take out Betty Lee. She turned me down when I asked the first time (to see a Barbara Streisand movie) because she already had a date that night. I learned later she was very unhappy she had to turn me down, so she was hoping I would ask again.

So, courtesy of YouTube, here's the group that brought us together over 36 years ago, singing a medley of several of their hit songs from the late '60s and early '70s....

No comments: