Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Turn


I want to nominate a song for our VU Centennial Class 40th Reunion CD. It's from my favorite duo Simon & Garfunkel, who I've loved since high school days when they burst on the music scene with "Sounds of Silence."


Their monster album and single in 1970 is "Bridge Over Troubled Water." I remember playing it over and over during my shows on WRVU. The single came out during our freshman year on January 26, 1970 and reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 charts by the end of February. It then stayed number one for six weeks and also topped the adult contemporary ramkings for six weeks as well. The single has sold more than 6 million copies worldwide and is ranked number 47 on Rolling Stone's ranking of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. It also won Grammy Awards in 1971 for both Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

Here they are singing it during the duo's famous "Concert in Central Park" in 1981....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-PNun-Pfb4

I had the chance to hear Simon and Garfunkel sing this song live (along with so many of their other hits) when they came to Nashville a few summers back to perform at the Arena. It's was definitely something I'd always wanted to do and it was one of the greatest concerts I've ever attended. One to check off the bucket list....and put on the Class CD.

More on another of my favorite concerts at the Arena...featuring two of the biggest stars of the 1969-73 era.....James Taylor and Carole King....in another blog posting down the road.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I knew that one was coming. Now how about Quinn the Eskimo?