Wednesday, July 10, 2013

DID YOU EVER GO TO A PARTY LIKE THIS DURING OUR VANDY DAYS?


Before we leave 1970 and go on to the hit songs from the movies of 1971, here's a brief diversion.

I was listening to XM Radio and heard this smash recording by Three Dog Night called "Momma Told Me Not To Come." Written by Randy Newman, it topped the pop singles chart when it came out and it was certified gold on July 14, 1970. A few weeks before that it was the first song  ever broadcast on the soon-to-be-classic weekly nationally syndicated radio show "American Top 40."

But the real question I want answered is, after listening to the song's lyrics again, did you ever wind up at any parties like this while you were in school at Vanderbilt? It's OK, we don't need names and only a few details, if you'd like share.

Besides it's been over 40 years, the narcs are gone and you probably don't remember your date's name anyway. So, enjoy the song (and remember, if you can)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLQYkbzSz5s

On a personal level, anyone who knew me at the time or knows me now, is sure to tell you I was way too nerdy to be at any wild parties. And now I'm too old and too tired to do it, darn it. But I will do the best I can at our VU Centennial Class 40th Reunion Party at the newly remodeled Rand Hall on Friday evening, October 4. Hope you'll be there too! 

No comments: