Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Personal Note


As we continue to discuss our favorite groups and music from our time together at Vanderbilt, I need to make a personal note.

The 5th Dimension holds a special place in my heart because going to see them in concert at the Municipal Auditorium downtown was the first date I had with my wife, Betty Lee Love (also VU Class of 1973). It was in the spring of 1972.

We met at WRVU and she already had a date when I asked her out the first time (I think for a Barbara Streisand movie). I thought this concert was my next big chance and it worked. Almost 40 years later, we're still happily married (anniversary is April 27), having raised two children and now greatly enjoying two grandchildren.

I still have the ticket stubs from that 5th Dimension concert that was our first date. And we both still love the Fifth Dimension. Here's their first big hit, "Up, Up And Away" written by the great Jimmy Webb. It went as high as #7 on the charts and won 5 Grammy Awards.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5akEgsZSfhg

Overall, the 5th Dimension had two #1 songs, "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" and "Wedding Bell Blues," both in 1969. In fact, the group had four different hits on the charts in all but four weeks of that year and had over 40 pop hits overall.

The makeup of the 5th Dimension has changed a little bit over the years, but it is still touring according to the group's official web site. Unfortunately from what I can tell from doing some research they haven't been to Nashville recently nor do they have any concerts scheduled here.

No comments: