Friday, June 21, 2013

Here Comes The Sun!


The latest nominee for our VU Centennial Class 40th Reunion CD (courtesy of Carol Castleberry) is the Beatles hit "Here Comes The Sun."

While it's a most appropriate time to nominate this song on the first day of the summer season, it's a rather unusual Beatles tune. It was written by George Harrison, not John Lennon and Paul McCartney. And when it was recorded on July 7, 1969, John Lennon did not participate because, according to Wikipedia, he was recovering from a car crash. The song was released on the group's 1969 album, ABBY ROAD. Here it is, coutesy of YouTube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6j4TGqVl5g

In his autobiography, George Harrision says he wrote the song in a difficult time in his life, struggling with his work at Apple Records and with the long, cold English winter: "So one day I sagged off Apple and I went to Eric Clapton's house. The relief of not having to go see all those dopey accountants was wonderful, and I walked around the garden with one of Eric's acoustic guitars and wrote "Here's Comes the Sun."

"Here Comes the Sun" was never relased as a single by the Beatles so it never was eligible in those days to be listed on the charts. I do remember giving it lots of airplay when I was working my shifts at WRVU. The song was also covered by many artists, including the one who got the best chart numbers for it.  That would the late Richie Havens version in 1971  which reached #16 (and which I played often on my DJ shifts at the station).

Happy summer! And keep sending me your song nominations for the CD. Just leave a message on the Class Facebook page.



No comments: