Wednesday, February 27, 2008

So What Was Your Favorite Vandy Concert and other Questions from Steve Greil ?

Class of '73 member Steve Greil raises an interesting question in his reply below under the posting concerning Chancellor Heard. He wants to know:

What was your favorite concert during our four years at Vanderbilt (1969-1973)?

To help get the conversation started, and for the memory impaired (aren't we all a little bit these days), here are a few concerts I remember, in no particular order:

THE ASSOCIATION (Homecoming 1969)

THE GRATEFUL DEAD (Senior Year on Alumni Lawn)

BREAD

SHA-NA-NA

JOAN BAEZ

GORDON LIGHTFOOT

Now I am sure there were plenty of others. And I am also sure Steve Greil probably helped book the shows to campus, so I hope he comes back to post his own favorites and tell us his "inside stories" about the stars.

As for me, remember I was a junior transfer from Peabody and a town student, so I missed a lot especially the first two years.

Please hit the reply button below and post your thoughts on your favorite Vanderbilt concerts and any special memories they still envoke. By the way, you don't have to have a Google account to participate!

Maybe you can also help Steve Greil with his other questions (sorry I have no clue, but I am very curious :).

What ever happened to the KA cannon?

How long did it take Alan Mazer to get the Corn Flakes and molasses off his body?

Just hit reply and post away!

Pat

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what my old brain can remeber The Grateful Dead was the best concert ever.

Anonymous said...

I also remember The Who concert, homecoming some year or other. I have mixed feelings about the Grateful Dead concert. My room was in Cole Hall, and with the windows open the sound and (ahem)aroma coming from Alumni lawn made studying for exams very tough. I think I would have liked it better if it had been a little briefer.

Anonymous said...

For innovation, energy, and artistry, my favorite was John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu orchestra. It was in Neeley Auditorium, and yes it was aromatic, but of course that would not contribute to my opinion ;-)

Just in general, VU concerts were fantastic. I've been on the faculty at PSU for 28 years, and we don't get anywhere near the calibre of music that we enjoyed at VU.

We just went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland last weekend, and I was impressed with how many of the groups I had heard live - even my 14 year old son was somewhat impressed. I recall these Hall of Fame artists from VU days :
Grateful Dead
Fleetwood Mac
Parliament/Funkadelics
The Byrds
...

- Ross Hardison

Randy said...

There was also Mountain, Steve Miller, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Albert King, Doc Watson, Lester Flatt. I recall the NG Dirt Band putting on surprisingly good show, but then so did the others. I also recall hearing the rumor that Simon and Garfunkle offered to do a show while they were in town recording, but because it would have to be during the week, they weren't booked. Anyone else remember hearing that?
There was also the Allman Brothers, the Temptations, and Jethro Tull downtown at some old auditorium.
I really did study, too.