Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Loooking Back On That Big Decision


Not to beat the drum too much, but April can be the cruelest month.

In the spring of 1969, that's  when we had to decide (much as many high school seniors across the country have been doing this past month) whether Vanderbilt or some other school would be our college of choice. Forty-plus years later, it may seem all so simple or pre-destined now, but it was one of the first really big decisions of our young lives.

And we wanted to make sure we were doing it right.

In that regard, it's great to read an article like the one featured in THE NEW YORK TIMES on-line blog section THE CHOICE, (published April 10) where an in-coming Vanderbilt Class of 2017 freshman, Bryan Stromer from New York City has confirmed, after a trip to Nashville and the campus, that he is very happy about his choice.

And he's happy I think for some of the same reasons that may have attracted us to Vanderbilt so many years ago.....

http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/10/envelope-please-bryan-stromer-6/?smid=tw-NYTimesCollege&seid=auto




For me, I got wait-listed in 1969 and didn't get to say yes to Vanderbilt, until I was came over as a transfer student in the Fall of 1971. After two years across the street attending Peabody, it was one of the greatest days of my life when I got the letter offering me admission to the VU Class of 1973. Having been born and raised in Nashville, and spending a lot of time in my early years riding by or walking through the campus, I knew this was the place for me.

Looking back, I can still relate to the wonder and excitement this new Vanderbilt students feels as he contemplates his next four years beginning late this summer. Actually I mix with that a little envy wishing I could do it all over again, although that's when I remember, that given what a national university Vandrbilt has become, I have strong doubts I could be admitted today.

No comments: